2001 Review

Our major project for the last year has been the restoration and reconstruction of the 3-manual, 37 stop, mechanical action, Pogson organ for the Verbrugghen Concert Hall of Sydney Conservatorium. This has just been packed into a 40'container ready for installation, which will commence on June 18 and is due for completion by the end of August 2001. It will feature a new pre-tensioned mechanical key-action and mass-loaded schwimmer wind regulation system designed by Perth engineer Lynn Kirkham, a new capture system by Muldersoft Organ Systems, and voicing by John Gray including a new Swell Voix Celeste and redesigned Swell Mixture. The former Ruckpositive division has been relocated in the case behind the console as a Brustwerk to suit the new orchestral/choral stage configuration. The Hall has been completely refurbished including a new concrete ceiling above the original to enhance the acoustic and remove outside noise. The redevelopment of the Conservatorium and associated High School of which the organ contract is just a small part is believed to be costing A$ 145 million. Many of the 80 rooms (including 3 of the 4 concert halls) will be up to 3 levels underground to avoid spoiling the vista of the historic Government House stables building at the center of the complex, in the grounds of the Royal Botanical Gardens.

During the last year we have carried out many interesting smaller projects around New Zealand including overhauls of varying scope and complexity at St Mary's Anglican New Plymouth, St Mary's Anglican Hawera, St Thomas Anglican Newtown, First Presbyterian Martinborough, LDS Nuhaka, St Thomas More Catholic Wilton (incl. relocation), Ellerslie Tongan (incl. relocation), St Luke's Anglican Mt Albert (1 st stage), St Paul's Anglican Waiwhetu (1 st stage), LDS Bridge Pa, Auckland Town Hall (swell), Khandallah Presbyterian, St George's Anglican Papatoetoe, St Luke's Anglican Christchurch (new main wind duct), St Michael's Christchurch (reservoirs), First Church of Christ Scientist Wellington (Choir underaction), Maori Hill Presbyterian (Great underaction), Sacred Heart Cathedral Wellington (console relocation) and New Zealand Wedding Services Cashmere (Methodist).

Trumpets have been popular this year with new examples added to St Paul's Cathedral Hamilton, St Paul's Presbyterian Wanganui and a Tuba at Knox Presbyterian Dunedin. New Muldersoft switching and capture systems have been installed at St Paul's Presbyterian Wanganui, Oxford Terrace Baptist Christchurch, St Andrew's Geraldine and Knox Presbyterian Dunedin. New blowers have been installed at St Andrew's Presbyterian Gisborne, St Paul's Presbyterian Wanganui, St Joseph's Catholic New Plymouth, and Cathedral Grammar Christchurch.

At the present time in the factory we are working on the rebuilding of the Onehunga Methodist and Presbyterian organs into one organ incorporating all the pipework from both plus additional new Trombone and Mixture pipes. The rebuilt organ will be placed in the Onehunga Cooperating Parish Church in Grey St. and should be completed by Christmas.

We are also just starting the relocation; restoration and reconstruction of the 50 stop 3 manual 1930 Hill Norman & Beard organ formerly in the Scots Assembly Hall Sydney for the Memorial Hall of Scotch College Melbourne. The organ will have a new case designed by the architect in charge of the refurbishment of the Hall. The Pedal Open Wood 32' will be on display at each side of the podium arch. This project is being carried out in collaboration with PD Jewkes Pty Sydney and is due for completion at the beginning of 2003.

Later in the year we will commence restoring the St John's Methodist, Nelson organ built by Bishop & Sons of London in 1891 and later rebuilt and enlarged by H Tustin and J Lee. This will include reconstruction of the original case and if possible rediapering of the façade pipes, reinstatement of the Great Clarinet and addition of the prepared for Swell Mixture and possibly the Trumpet. A Muldersoft transmission and capture system will be fitted.

We recently purchased the 1877 Hill organ formerly in St Peter's Anglican Church Riccarton and have set it up in the factory, repaired and restored to its original form. It will be demonstrated and be available for playing during the Congress visit to our factory.

In conclusion the Company is in good heart for its 33 rd anniversary with a strong order book and confidence for the future. The number of organs tuned and maintained under contract has again increased during the year and totals over 300 from Invercargill to Auckland.

 

 
Supported by HotSource IT